Our journey...

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A really tough decision...

I am considering getting rid of my dog.  I can't believe I am saying this :(  I get her as a baby 4 years ago with the X.  She's a lab/pointer mix, energetic, and stubborn as hell.  Lately we have been pretty busy with work & life, and she just does not get the attention she needs or deserves.  Because of that, she acts up & makes DH mad, which just gets her put in the kennel or outside :(  Meaning she's not getting attention....its a vicious cycle.

I am worried that she will be super jealous of the baby.  She is gentle with kids, but she's also 95lbs.  She is big, and her tail is long & hurts like heck when it smacks against your legs. 

I know the X would take great care of her, but I feel horrible trying to call him to see if he wants to come take her.

I just don't know what to do :(  Anyone know of a good, loving home for a giant dog?

7 comments:

Jenny Free Style said...

This is coming from a dog lover...but I'd at least give her a chance with the baby. There are great websites to help transition a dog to a home with a baby. If it's still too much, then I'd talk to x about other arrangements...until then I, personally, would keep the dog.
But again, I'm a dog mommy at heart.

spaghetti0625 said...

I agree with Jenny. It's just a phase she is going through, that's all. Try to get toys for her that she can play with while you are not home, but also try to make time to give her some attention as well.
I know for a fact that labs are VERY good with kids and are VERY protective of them. A lot of dogs are like that. You'd be amazed at home many dogs I see get protective of babies and don't let the daddy hold the baby.
When I was young, my uncle had a german shepherd...great dog. he was soooo protective of me. If I was there and someone picked me up, he'd bark and try to bite their ankles to put me down. And as soon as I was put back down, he would cuddle with me. It was so cute.
You will have lots of pics with baby and Lucy if you keep her...just saying.
If I had a house, I'd totally take her, but I have a small tiny condo and a PITA cat lol.

Jenny Rottinger said...

I wouldn't give away that dog but would look into dog training classes and trying to figure out how to spend enough time with her so she has enough walks/play time. search your local area for dog clubs and see if anyone can help out with walks (and you help them with theirs when you have time). Dogs tend to be very good with kids and once your first kid starts crawling and running around they'll keep each other company which should eliminate the 'non-attention' issue.

Mary S said...

I was worried about my dog with the baby. She is super jumpy and high anxiety due to be abused before we rescued her. Really no reason to worry! She LOVES the baby! When she was really small she'd sit right in front of her swing and "protect" her whenever someone came by. This dog is afraid of her own shadow but didn't mind the swing coming at her. Now that the baby is almost 1 and crawling/walking they are best friends. The dog sits right by her and the baby gives her treats, climbs all over her, pulls her tail. The dog used to spend all day upstairs in our room, now she's down with us all day long playing and having a great time. You may be surprised. Like everyone else said get her some training if you're worried or send her to doggie daycare once a week to get the energy out.

Sam said...

Thanks for the reassurance :) I have looked up some tips on how to get her used to the baby. Its a good thing I will have 12 weeks at home with both of them too. I think she will be fine, but I really like the doggie daycare idea to help get some of her energy out.

Lisa B. said...

She is acting out just like a child would if it was not getting the attention it needed. People MUST take the time for their dogs, just like they would for their children.

If a child was misbehaving they wouldn't be locked in a closet. By locking her up in her kennel it will become a negative place for her and before long you won't be able to get her in the kennel, creating another problem.

BUT if you choose to give her away, it's only fair to her that you call the X first.

Oh and BTW, congrats on the little one coming! How exciting!

Shelly said...

I'd give her a chance..they may end up being the best of friends. Try finding an obediance school and get some training done before the baby arrives. She sounds like Vince's 3yr. old Weim, Amber. She was about six months old when we started dating. Hyper and jealous of me. Anytime Vince and I would talk on the phone, she'd get her squeaky toy and squeak constantly. He sad she only did it when he was on the phone. She's gotten used to me now and comes and lays by me instead of him...sometimes. :) Good luck and congrats on the baby!