Our journey...

Sunday, January 2, 2011

CVS - how I've missed you!

The deals at CVS have been seriously lacking lately.  But, the next few weeks of sales are about to turn that all around :)  I have purchased some coupons on eBay to help me stock up on some items we need (laundry detergent & dishwashing detergent).  I paid $30 for the coupons, which is cheaper than buying 40 papers.  My mom is buying half of them from me, so I will end up only paying $15 for the coupons.  After the deals are done, I will be getting 10 bottles of laundry detergent (Wisk), and 14 boxes of Finish dish detergent for a profit of $1.50, even after paying for the coupons.  Um...yes please :)  I couldn't buy generics or even make my own for that kind of price.

And all the extra bucks I am building up will be perfect for the diaper sales.  Since I hang out on the coupon forums, I found a great guideline for stocking up on diapers.  I am going to focus on getting sizes N-2 right now, and then slowly build up the bigger sizes as the sales continue.  My goal is to have 3 months' worth of diapers ready to go before I have to take maternity leave.  Since I will be taking 4-6 weeks without pay, I want to have as much on-hand as I can.  I can always exchange the diapers for different sizes/brands later if we need to, which is good. 

Since we have both been sick, DH and I have been watching a lot of HGTV.  Makes us want to do some projects around the house :)  But, since we want to move soon, we are putting it off.  We looked at houses in the area where we want to move, and found a PERFECT neighborhood for us.  Its about 10 minutes from all the stores & main highways, but out on a more rural road so it feels like the house is out in the middle of no-where.  And we found a house that we could definitely grow into (5br, 4ba, 3-car garage, HUGE lot, etc) that was within our price-range.  So we set a goal - 18 months, and we will move.  I know we won't get that house exactly, but it was nice to see that places we both liked were available in the area of town we like, and within our budget. 

4 comments:

Tanya said...

When is the dish detergent going to happen at CVS? I have like 3 tablets left and really don't want to pay full price for them :)

Also, don't buy too many newborn diapers. I stocked up on them with the twins and I still didn't use them all up (I think I have 5 pkgs. left) and for some reason I opened them so I'm unable to exchange them. I would get more size 1's if I were you. The hospitals around here don't even use the newborn sized, they just fold the top part down so it doesn't go up so high :) I've found esp. with boys the newborn ones aren't great because if you forget to point a certain thing down they end up soaking themselves ;) Hahahaha.

Couponing Grad Student said...

I'm interested in the dish detergent deal too! Please share with us :)

Sam said...

Haha, I remember that from having little brothers, Tanya :) I have one pack of NBs, I think I will stock up on 1s (5 packs or so), and then more 2's. I got a stock-piling guide from one of the coupon forums that looks pretty good.

Tanya said...

That sounds like a good plan. All my boys were in size 2, 3 and 4s the longest. Oliver can still wear the size 2s but Xander needs size 3s and might even fit in size 4s since he's such a chunk :)

Thanks for posting the detergent deal - I'm planning on buying some coupons from eBay.