Our journey...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Party time :/

We had DH's big annual work party last night.  Usually its a blast - but last night I think I should have just stayed home...

This party is always held at a super nice hotel here in KC.  Usually they get the top floor & rent out the ballroom, bar, and dining room.  This year they couldnt get the same hotel due to a scheduling conflict, so we went to another one.  Their dining rooms are in the basement - so that was a bit weird.  No elevators down to the basement, so I got to go down three flights of stairs - in heels. I was a bit worried...heels + stairs + being preggo sounded like a bad combo.  Good thing I have not lost my sense of balance yet! DH walked ahead of me so I could hold on to his shoulder as we went down the steps.

The dining room was pretty tiny compared to the one at the other hotel.  When the chairs were pulled out from the tables, you could barely squeeze between them.  It was better once everyone was seated and their chairs scooted in.  Then the servers came out - with giant trays & dinners stacked on top.  Seeing them carry those trays always makes me nervous - and now I know why!  As they were bringing the dinners around to our table, the server accidentally tilted the tray and dropped a hot plate onto my shoulder!!  Luckily the plate tipped away from me & the food all fell on the floor, but I got a bruise & a burn from the plate on my shoulder.  Yay....

The poor guy apologized profusely, and scrubbed the salmon out of the floor next to me.  He said "Its a good thing it didn't hit you - I would feel horrible if that had happened."  DH just looked right at him & said "You DID hit her!"  The guy grabbed the rest of the food & the plate, and disappeared back into the kitchen.  I don't think I saw him for the rest of the night :(  I hope he didn't get in trouble for it - it was just an accident. 

After dinner they started serving coffee with dessert.  I can't really handle coffee anymore, so I asked for a cup of hot tea.  They brought me out the tea & hot water and it was great :)  Until they came around for refills, and another server put coffee in my tea, instead of more hot water.  Blech!   I wasn't going to say anything and just pushed it aside, but DH got his attention & asked him to take the cup away & get me another cup of tea.  So they did - but by this point I think they hated me.  The cup they brought back was dirty :(  I just stole DH's water glass and drank that instead.

After dinner we all had to go back upstairs to the ballroom (no elevator again - and 4 flights of stairs this time!).  People were getting cocktails & just hanging out.  I got to see some of the wives that I have not seen since last year, and meet some of the new ones.  It was a pretty good time :)  I asked DH to get me a glass of cranberry juice with a lime in it while he was at the bar, since I wanted something to drink.  When he came back to give it to me, he spilled it all over my shoes.  It really was not my night!!

5 comments:

Mrs G said...

Oh man. That doesn't sound like the best evening. I am glad you were ok on the stairs though. So for some reason today in the mail I got a boat load of samples and coupons. I thought of you because I got a "P&G Everyday Savings Booklet" for January-June this year, with multiple coupons for each item. There are many baby/diaper items if you'd like me to mail them let me know.

Sam said...

I would love baby coupons!! Do you want anything in exchange for them?

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

It really wasn't your night. I feel so bad for you and the restaurant!! *sigh* Things happen.

Amiyrah said...

Oh no! Yes, that really was not a good night for you :o(. At least you have today to recouperate from it all lol. Hope you stay in bed!

Mrs G said...

Hi Sam-
I will PM you on the Grocery board because I don't have your address anymore. No I don't want anything in exchange, just enjoy!