Our journey...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Off the deep end again :)

I have started to pick up Walgreens again.  DH has been encouraging me to get back into hounding more intensely to save money & get ready for this baby.  I had slacked off for awhile since I didn't feel well at the beginning, and the deals were crappy (and we had a TON of stuff to tide us over).

Well, I think I just figured out the best deal I could hope to find on diapers.  Seriously!

Walgreens will have their brand of diapers & wipes BOGO next week.  I don't want to stock up on wipes just yet because I think they might dry out before we need them, but diapers have a super long shelf-life, so I will get those.  DH has said I could spend $50.  Here's what I plan to do with that -

Transactions 1-9 (yep - 9!)
Neuragen PE (diabetic pain relief) - $14.99 with card, get back $10 RR
-$10 coupon found in the D&Y mag at Walgreens
=$5.37 each ($4.99 + tax).
Total cost for these 9 transactions = $48.33

Transactions 10-12:
12 packages of Walgreens brand diapers = $107.88
- BOGO sale = $53.94
$.10 taffy (filler item) = $54.06
- Walgreens' booklet $2 diaper coupons (have not found one here, but trying to trade for one)  - will take off $24 for all of the diapers = $30.06
-3 of the $10 RRs from previous transactions = $.06
Pay $.06 + tax (here its on the post-coupon price only) = $.06
Total for the last three transactions = $.18 (YEP!!)

That means my total cost for 36 packages of diapers will be $48.51, or $1.35 per package of diapers.  WOW!  Honestly, if that all works out I might see if I can't get a bit more out of the budget.  I could easily get a year's worth of diapers for $100 total!  The only thing cheaper than that would be making my own cloth diapers out of DH's old t-shirts :P

Yes, I am a complete dork.  I spent 20 minutes figuring this out, and about danced around the room when I saw it would work.  I asked DH if I could run out to the store, and he just rolled his eyes at me.  I am going to get our kiddo stocked up, and then I think I will help SIL get stocked (or take BIL out with me & show him how to do it so he can work the deals). 

6 comments:

Mrs G said...

Hey Sara!
Great deal. I went shopping yesterday at my wags with a coworker on lunch and she saw an older packaging style (it was all white) on Wags brand diapers, 50pk and they were clearancing because it was older marketing package. It was $2.09 clearance price (I'm not sure if all stores will have them, but the 2 we went to had them). She bought 3 packs because she said it's a good deal for 50 diapers(I don't have kids so I don't know). That might help your SIL.

Sam said...

Thanks for the tip! I will have to go check our store. Especially once I get my $2 coupon :-)

Tanya said...

That is an awesome price for diapers!! I am jealous :)

As for the wipes - stock up!! They will not dry up. When I had the twins I had some left from when Noah was an infant (a dollar store around here had the Huggies wipes for $1!! so I bought like 50 pkgs. of them). They weren't dried up at all :)

Sam said...

AHH, thanks, Tanya!!

Shaylene said...

Can you tell which diabetes and you magazine has the 10off coupon? The magazine at my pharmacy does not have it. Also did you ever get ahold of the diaper coupon? If not I have extras I could send your way. Thanks.

Sam said...

I did finally find the diaper coupon here, but thanks for the offer!! The D&Y with the chicken parmesan on the cover is the one with the coupon. Lots of stores are running out though - people grabbed them up & are selling the coupons on eBay!!! Ughghgh.