Spent the morning at the perinatologists. Got some cute shots of baby
(thumb sucker!!), but still wouldn't reveal the goods. Ha! But...baby's cord has three vessels and not two like they told us yesterday!!!
Here's
what we know right now: 1) Baby's organs are all reversed. Heart and
stomach are on the right side of it's body instead of on the left. It's
the least of our worries, but does affect how they read the sonograms.
2) Baby has hypoplasty of one of the heart ventricles. They are assuming
the left (HLHS), but since the organs are reversed and backwards it
could be the right. This means the part of the heart that pumps blood
out into the body did not develop correctly. In the womb, this is not as
serious, but once baby is born it would immediately need open heart
surgery. 3) Baby has a complete heart block. The part of the heart that
acts as the pacemaker is malfunctioning, most likely because of the
hypoplasty. The top of the heart (atria) where blood comes is is beating
at 130. The bottom of the heart (ventricles - sends blood to lungs or
body) is beating at 90. Once baby is born they could put in a pacemaker
to correct. There is nothing they could do in-utero though. Due to the
difference in the rates within the heart the baby is at a 50/50 risk for
heart failure in the womb. This would be fatal unless they just
happened to catch it at a time when they could deliver baby in time.
To
top it off, they need to know if there are any chromosomal
abnormalities before they can even begin to make an action plan to care
for baby. If it's Trisomy 21 (Down's), or no chromosomal issues, then we
go to a pediatric cardiologist for the rest of the pregnancy. That
would mean I would deliver at Children's Mercy with a scheduled
c-section and baby would go immediately into open heart surgery, with
other surgeries to follow over the course of a few years. If there are
chromosome issues other than Downs, they are completely incompatible
with life. I could continue the pregnancy with my normal OB and deliver
at my normal hospital with a hospice team instead of the normal neonate
care.
I had an amnio done in the office today. Honestly, I was
terrified of it but it was not much worse than getting blood drawn. I
had only heard horror stories but it was fine. I feel fine now and they
did an US the whole time to make sure baby was ok, and then checked baby
out again afterwards. We will get the first stage of results next week,
with more to come over the next couple of weeks as they go through
everything completely to see if they can figure out the cause for the
defect. If nothing shows up, then this was not chromosomal but just
random chance. If trisomies are present, then again it was random and
most likely would not occur with another pregnancy (doctor said less
than 1% chance). If the issue is missing chromosome pieces, then DH and I
would be encouraged to get future testing because it means the risk to a
future pregnancy is higher, but still rare.
The doctor told us
he sees the hypoplastic hearts frequently since he's the specialist -
that's what he does. The inverted organs on their own are more rare, and
the heart block by itself is even more rare. But he's never seen all
three present at the same time. I feel like we should go buy a lottery
ticket because apparently we can hit 1:1,000,000,000,000 odds.
So
we have some answers, but we still don't know yet what is going on. The
doctor has said there is no risk to me right now in continuing the
pregnancy. DH and I have decided to not choose termination, but to carry
the pregnancy as long as we are able to. I know things will come in
waves, but for right now I am not really sad. I am accepting the fact
that we will most likely not get to raise this baby but we may get the
chance to see & hold our baby if even for a little bit. I know this
is something I didn't cause and something I could not have prevented,
and it most likely will not happen to us again with another baby. I'm
not angry or thinking "why us?" To me it's not an indication of God not
caring for us or not providing for us. It's just something that happens,
and we will make the best of it that we can, and DH and I will get
through it together. (Someone may need to remind me of this later when I
am breaking down).
And now I need a nap.

6 comments:
A week ago I stumbled on a blog about a baby who had a similar heart condition www.miracleryker.blogspot.com. Not sure If it will help you any or just make you feel worse but with the odds being slim that I would read a blog about an extremely rare heart disease and a week later read a post from someone in a similar situation I figured it might be meant for me to pass it along. This couple also remained very positive and embraced the few months they had with their child. I wish you the best!
Thank you, I will have to check that site out.
Sam, I'm here for you if you need anything! Someone has a purpose for this baby, and it's your job to figure out what the ultimate purpose is.
I just find it amazing that with technology they can find out all this stuff!
I give you props for not playing God and taking your fetuses life.
ND - I always thought this is the route I would choose and could never imagine terminating. But to be honest, when actually presented with the specifics of this situation, it took some consideration. Knowing that the baby is not in pain right now is what solidified our decision. But I don't believe that choice is made lightly.
Peace be with you! Your reasoning is exactly the same as mine, if this ever happened to me. I hope you are constantly be reminded of God's presence. Your family will get through this journey! Love you!
Post a Comment