No idea if this will even come to pass, or if it would apply to my department at all. But DH and I made the decision tonight to act as if it might. We made a plan - one for now, and one for if the bottom falls out. I just feel so much better knowing we have an action plan in place. I will be working on beefing up my resume just in case, and have already put out a couple feeler-calls to see what's available out there. Sucks since I am almost 5 months pregnant....I know its not "supposed" to affect the hiring decisions, but it very easily can.
Part of this plan is to go as bare-bones as we can right now. Not that we live an overly extravagant lifestyle anyway, but we will be making some changes.
- Grocery budget - $200 per month. Max. No ifs, ands, or buts. Try to incorporate as many NBPR rebates as I can to get our grocery $$ back each month. For March, the goal will be to use as much of the pantry as we can. We will see how low we can go with the budget for March.
- Gas - with prices rising, we will attempt to carpool & DH will drive me to work in the morning on his way since its only an extra 2 mi out of his way to take me. We will drive the more fuel-efficient car whenever possible. We will also start riding to church together - he goes about an hour before I do usually, so we have been each driving. I will start taking him, dropping him off, and then hitting up CVS & Walgreens for my weekly shopping trip (only 2 mi away from church). Attempt to stick to $200/month for gas.
- Energy efficiency - shorter showers, be more diligent about laundry loads (full only, cold water, line-dry now that its nicer). Could save $50/month.
- CVS & Walgreens - get back into serious couponing. I have been pretty lax lately since we have been busy & we have plenty of items on-hand. Now I will be focusing on getting all the MM deals & I can work out with the least OOP possible. Extra items will be donated, and receipts obtained for tax purposes later. MM deals & rebates will be rolled back into the grocery budget.
- No snowball payments to any CCs or loans. Minimums ONLY.
- Entertainment/ going out to eat - yeah, pretty much not going to happen. I will do better about meal-planning ahead of time so that we are not as tempted to run out on weeknights. For now, once or twice on the weekends won't be a deal-breaker, but if the big "LO" were to happen, that would obviously stop completely.

4 comments:
I'm so glad to hear you have a plan in place just in case. I'm sure everything will work out fine for you.
We have friends...he's an ironworker currently laid off, and she was a personal banker at a nationally known bank and got fired. So what did they do? They cashed out her 401k money and took a two-week vacation to California, including Disneyland, bought a big screen TV and some other things, and are going on another smaller trip to Illinois this weekend. The 401k money is almost gone.
It's none of my business, but I was still aghast.
Yeah,, it always surprises me how people treat their severance and 401k when something happens. It's not just free money!!!
We've been living bare bones for two years. It has been very rough, I'm now back to work full time but not making near as much as I was. Hoping to get a raise soon, at least by my 90 day eval.
I'll be praying for you and your security. 5 months already? where does the time go? hugs
Lisa - glad to hear you are back at work now! Hopefully that raise comes through soon too :)
Post a Comment