Our journey...

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bitty Gurl's Space....

Someone called the baby "Bitty Gurl" on my FB wall this week - and for some reason it stuck with me. Pretty sure I won't actually call her that, but I thought I would steal it for a second :)

My bro came over tonight, and we bought some paint & supplies for her room. He paid for them since he owes us some $$ (we pay for his phone each month). We came back, and got to work. I opened up a window, turned on the ceiling fan, and started in working on the trim work. Bro started with the big roller. In just over an hour we got the first coat pretty much done - still need to get out the step stool for the top 6'' or so, and I need to get down to do the floor, but it should be all coated by next week & ready to start putting together!

We don't have a ton of money to spare for this, so its going to be a fairly frugal project. I ordered some MyPoints giftcards to buy the area rug &; accessories with. We got $100 in giftcards, and I am thinking we can get by with spending $30-40 more out of pocket for those things. We will go with the area rug instead of carpet for now, since its cheaper & easier to replace if something gets messed up.

Mom & I are going shopping this weekend to pick out the fabric for the nursery. I already had the black curtains, so we will be re-using those. But we will be putting bright pink ribbon trim on the edges, and hemming up the curtains (since they were really just black flat sheets I re-purposed from the wedding!). For the crib bedding, we will do a bumper & a skirt. My mom found a way to do the bumper with a thinner pad, and it weaves in & out of the crib slats so that it does not become a suffocation hazard later. Then we just need to find some fabric to cover the glider & ottoman with, and some to make basket liners (I am going to turn three diaper boxes into "canvas bins").  Seriously - how cute are those?  Not sure if they will reside under the crib, or if I am going to get a bookshelf to put them on.  But they will be cute :)

For decorations, I am getting some old records (FIL has some he's giving me).  I am going to get the big paper mache letters at Hobby Lobby, and spell out her name in bright pink letters.  Then mount them in the middle of the records, and hang them above the crib :)  They should be light-weight enough that we can mount them securely with the 3M strips.  Which is good because the walls are plaster & its a pain in the bum to put anything heavy on the wall!!

So all-in-all, I am expecting this nursery makeover to cost us $200 or less out of pocket.  And that's just because we got extremely lucky, and DH's boss keeps giving us all the furniture we need!  They have given us the crib, mattresses, glider, ottoman, and now changing table/dresser.  Such a blessing :)

2 comments:

Nd.chic said...

I wish that I was as crafty as you. You will definitely have to post some pics.

Anonymous said...

Yay please post pictures! Ugh I feel like we would be fun friends in real life.