Our journey...

Friday, June 29, 2012

Just when you think you have this frugal thing down...

Its easy to think you've reached the point where you can't be any more frugal than you are already (at least, without sacrificing the level of comfort that you are willing to have).  We had reached this point and had been maintaining it for a few months.

And then I decided to take another good, long look at our cell phone bill.

I will preface this by saying DH legitimately needs a smart phone for his business.  And since he's self-employed and pays the bill himself, it's too easy to tack on my line and add in a smart phone too (after-all - its only $10 more for my phone).  We also had my mom on our family plan.  For all three smart phones, data plans, and high-minute package, the monthly cost was $180.  Only it kept creeping up.  To $185.  Then $190.  Last month it was $205!!!  The taxes, surcharges, etc just kept adding up.  So I dug in to see what we could cut.

The first thing was the insurance policy on our phones.  At this point we have had each of our phones for more than a year.  While we could not get a new phone under an upgrade if something should happen, the cost to buy a replacement phone off Craigslist or eBay is about the same as our $50 deductible.  And at $8/month/line, that was $24 we could lop right off the top.  So I cancelled all the insurance policies and let everyone know to be careful! 

But what I found is that this saved us much more than the initial $24.  With the taxes, surcharges, etc, it saved us almost $50!!!!!  SERIOUSLY.  Our bill this month was only $152 for all three lines.  WOW!  So for 10 minutes worth of reading and logging into my account, I saved us $50/month. 

No comments: