Summer electric rates are in effect. Not only does it cost about $.50 to run the dryer, there is the additional cost of having the AC work harder to expel the excess heat in the house. As a rough guess, I would say it costs $1-$1.50/load to dry clothes in the summer. Being frugal, and working for the utility company, I just can't let myself "waste" that money when the sunshine provides the drying for free :)
The two large drying racks I have been using to dry our clothes in the summer time have finally bit the dust. They were awesome over-sized wooden racks from Organized Living ($40 each, but I had picked them up at garage sales for $5). I forgot to bring them in last winter - oops! I was not willing to spend $80 to replace them right now, so I needed a frugal alternative. After searching the interwebs for ideas, I came up with this:
I used a 100ft cotton clothesline and six eye-hooks. Total cost was $12 at the local hardware store. I ran the line through the hooks, pulled taut, and tied it off. Then, for stability, I ran it back through again to give each line more support. Also, clothes can be tucked between the double lines to eliminate the need for clothes pins. And I now have 50 ft of drying space - just slightly less than the two drying racks. Towels and sheets can still get hung over the deck rails as I did before.
And, if we ever get the call to show the house, the whole thing can be untied and taken down in just a couple minutes :)


No comments:
Post a Comment