Our journey...

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Stocking the freezer :)

Its time to cash in on some of those NBPR rebates (I had several expiring soon).  I spent $96.73 at Aldi tonight and got:
  • 20 hamburgers (UTOF) - packaged into 2 packs & put in the freezer for quick dinners
  • 12 pork chops
  • 3 pork tenderloin roasts
  • 1 large pork loin roast
  • 4 bags tortilla chips & 2 large tubs of salsa
  • Almonds
  • Pita chips
  • Misc groceries (milk, creamer, salad mix, dressings, pasta)
I split it up into seven transactions and will submit the receipts for my rebates.  I should get back $55, meaning my total cost for today will be $41.73.  Not too shabby!  Having all this meat in the freezer means we can go several weeks with only buying produce to make dinners & lunches.

I try to keep my purchases within my normal grocery budget as much as possible.  Its not really saving money if I spend a lot extra just to get the rebates.  Although I went a bit over the weekly $80 budget, the next several weeks should more than make up for it since we will just need produce to round out the meals.  When the rebates come in, I treat them as "found" money and send them straight to debt payoff :)

No comments: