Our journey...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Almost finished :)

We have the nursery pretty much put together!!  I am getting so excited!  We pretty much just need the carseat, and we can bring her home (whenever she's ready to come, which hopefully is at least 10 more weeks from now!).  Here's what it looks like:


The butterfly laying on the dresser will be going on the wall by the chair - as soon as we can figure out how to hang it :(  We have plaster walls, which makes hanging things a PAIN.

This week I am focused on doing the shower for SIL.  My sister and mom are really helping me out a lot.  They are baking up the muffins & cupcakes, and coming early to help me get everything set up.  I am planning on about 40 people being there.  Hopefully SIL gets the things she still needs, and gets some people to sign up to help once the kiddos start coming home.  Which hopefully they will start coming home NEXT WEEK!  How crazy is that?

I have been working on making up 4 diaper cakes for the shower to use as centerpieces (and gifts for SIL).  Each baby will have 2 tables set up with his/her colors (blue, green, pink, purple).  On one table will be a picture of the baby, along with some baby toys as the centerpiece.  On the other will be a diaper cake.  I had to roll & rubber-band almost 200 diapers to make these cakes!!  Its amazing how sticky your hands get after handling that many disposable diapers (kind of gross actually - what is that stuff???)

Here's one of the cakes:
I am trying to get cake plates to set these on (otherwise I have improvised some stands for them).  Then, in a circle around the cake will be some cupcakes frosted in each baby's colors.  I also got some Hershey's Kisses to sprinkle around the tables (I got some of the Easter ones on clearance, so they are the pretty pastel baby colors!).

8 comments:

Bintal said...

Have you tried the tiny, clear Command hooks for the butterfly? They're square and have a small hook that fits photo wire perfectly. And it wouldn't be too noticeable right behind the pink.

Sam said...

We have tried about 20 of those :( not only are the walls plaster, they are textured too. So the command hooks all fall, no matter what tricks we try.

Nd.chic said...

It's so cute. It sounds like you're pretty much ready for baby. The cake looks really nice. I'm not crafty enough to actually make that work.

spaghetti0625 said...

HOW CUTE! When I get prego, I'm flying you, the hubby and Alyvia out to my place to decorate my room....and my house! HAAHAAHA, we've been there 5 years tomorrow and I have not a decorating bone in my body! :)

Mary S said...

The sticky stuff in disposables is the gel. Read this article.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/269054/the_truth_about_disposable_diapers.html

I would encourage cloth diapering. It's not hard, saves a ton of money, and prevents all of the toxins from disposable diapers. A lot of those toxins are banned in certain things yet we put them on our baby's bottoms. *Shudder*

Jenny Rottinger said...

If your walls are textured then you can use simple white stucco to level small patch on the wall, let it dry, paint pink and then attach command hook.

Sam said...

Mary - thanks for the info!! I would love to do cloth, but DH was adamantly against it :( maybe with the next kiddo I can give it a try. Or maybe once I get to SAH so that he won't really have to do much.

Jenny - great idea :) We got some monkey hooks to try, but they involve drilling small holes. DH might like the spackle option better, and I know we have some around here somewhere :)

American Dreamer said...

The baby's room is beautiful. I hope you are feeling well.