We have almost made it through 2012. Not going to lie - our checking accounts are a mess right now and the CCs went up a smidge. Its no where near the mess that 2011 was, though, and plans are solidly in place for 2013. We will make it!
DH surprised me last night with a conversation about goals for next year. I have been ready to start trying for another kid for a few months now, and I keep asking him to talk to me about it. DH never really wants to talk through what he's thinking about, he just keeps telling me that he's not ready to entertain the idea and he does not know when he will be. So I had given up on it being an option for 2013. Kind of made me sad since I wanted our kids to be 2 yrs apart (especially since we both want 4-6 kids, having come from large families ourselves). I will be 30 next year and I don't want to push things off too far. Last night DH said he would be ready to TTC in January!!!! Um....ok.
Now that he's given it the green-light, I am starting to panic a bit. We have to figure out a new daycare configuration since MIL is not up for watching an infant and a toddler. With that comes an increased cost for daycare (adding in the new kid + paying more for DD). We also have diapers, possible formula, and other misc baby costs. If we have a girl we can reuse most of our things, but if we have a boy we will need to buy or borrow a new wardrobe. DD is still sleeping in the crib, so we would need a new toddler bed or a new crib for baby (or baby can sleep in the PnP for awhile). We will also have increased insurance costs, utilities (although slight), food, etc. We will have to save up for maternity leave and insurance deductibles.
We had set out a plan last week that would pay off ALL of our CC debt in 2013. All $24,000 of it. A kid is going to easily add on $10,000 more to save up.
And then there are the what-ifs: what if I get pregnant with twins? What if we have a baby with special needs? While both are rare occurrences statistically speaking, we could not financially handle either option at this moment.
So while I am excited that DH has given it the green-light, and I am anxious to give DD a sibling, I now have more goals to knock out before I feel comfortable moving ahead. I want to see where we are in March and then we can go ahead. Unfortunately, that puts us on the Dec/Jan line for delivery which could mean paying OOP max for two years instead of one for insurance purposes.
Dang it. Why can't this decision just be easy?

No comments:
Post a Comment