Work is picking up like it always does at the end of the year. I have put in 20 hours in the last 2 days. Oh well, I guess I will earn that vacation time at Christmas when I get to take it!! My little bro came down with the flu, and now I think DH and I are getting sick too :(
I am trying to come up with quick, frugal, fairly healthy dinner options. Lately I have been going into work early & coming home late, so by the time I get home I am too exhausted to do anything or come up with a good dinner (see last night's horrid attempt at something edible!). So I went browsing on Kraft recipes for some ideas.
For anyone who actually cooks, I am sure the "recipes" there are abhorrent. But for me, someone who HATES to cook, they are wonderful!! Most have 6 ingredients or less. A lot of them include pre-made stuff (dressing, ShakeNBake mix, etc), but that works for me at the moment. I can choose some healthier options there, make some substitutions, and know that its better for me than eating McDonald's every night. I mean, it has to be, right?
So here's what's looking good for dinner the rest of this week. Lots of chicken, because we have it on-hand already & we need to work through that first.
Chicken in creamy pan sauce - will probably spice it up, but looks good. Serve with some veggies :)
Crispy baked pesto chicken - YUM. Maybe serve this with some pasta!
Fried chicken - serve with some mashed potatoes & corn. I like the idea of marinading the chicken in the ranch dressing. Sounds pretty yummy!
I have a 3-ring notebook & some page protectors. I plan to print out the recipes we like, and put them in there for easy reference. That way DH can help out too! He hates cooking even more than I do, so the easier I can make this process the better.
Hmm....have you gathered that we really just dislike cooking around here? Anyone want to trade chores? I will come do laundry & scrub your tub if you just make me dinner every night!!! :)

8 comments:
Oh my gosh, I would switch you in a HEARTBEAT! Laundry is my arch enemy but I rather enjoy cooking! Come on over!
Sam, could do some cooking with a crock pot? That's usually pretty easy and its ready right away when you get home.
I like the crockpot, but we only have 2 people & DH won't eat leftovers :( Maybe I need to invest in a smaller one. The one I have right now is HUGE!!
That sounds like a good Christmas gift. I know that they have small ones that would be perfect for 2 people. 2 pieces of chicken, rice, and a can of cream of mushroom soup make a really easy meal. Serve with veggies and you have a complete meal 5 minutes after you walk in the house.
Jenny - you have a deal!!!
I wish I could trade with you. I don't like cleaning but love to cook. It's a great stress relief for me to just shut down my brain and chop veggies. Do you like Asian type of dishes? I like to make quick stirfry that takes less than 10 min overall - bunch of choped veggies (onion, celery, red bell pepper, brocoli etc that i always have ready pre-choped in containers), 1/2" sliced chicken pieces, tablespoon of veggie oil or canola and a couple of spoons of General Tsao sauce (you can find in most stores). heat up skillet or wok and quickly cook veggies in a drop of oil. remove to the dish. add another drop of oil and cook chicken for about 3 min - because it's thinly sliced it cooks fast. you can add a drop of apple juice and cover it all so it's moist and cooked through better. put veggies back into the chicken and add asian sauce. mix well so it's all coated and serve over rice or pasta. enjoy :)
I am definitely going to have to try that out. Thanks!!
i would totally switch too. i LOVE to cook and I have picky toddlers.
when in doubt, like Jenny suggested, stir-fry is quick, easy, and a good way to eat a lot of veggies
also, do you guys like hummus? my kids actually like it, and one of my favorite easy meals is to warm up flat bread or pitas..pat a little olive oil all over, sprinkle with garlic salt and a tiny pinch of cumin and then warm in the oven for a few minutes. Then we just slice up the pitas and sit around with a tub of hummus. You can also slice veggies to eat with it...carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, etc. Mmm.
I can't believe your hubby won't eat leftovers. :-P
Post a Comment