Our journey...

Monday, September 30, 2013

September Update

We've made it through the third quarter! And what a crazy year it has been so far. Here is the overall financial update:
 

Start 1/1/2013: $62,300.13

Current 9/30/2013: $44,636.42

Total paid: $17,663.71

 
Amazing. Simply amazing. We won't quite hit our goal set at the beginning of the year, but we are doing really well. Despite all the setbacks with the medical bills and general hiccups. The medical bills were covered 100% by our generous friends & family. It is completely humbling and heart warming. There's just no way to express how much that means to DH and I. Not only was it a financial burden, but it was a emotional & mental one as well. To have that lifted off of us has been such an incredible relief.
 
As for our active "racing" debt, we just crossed the 50% mark on that this month. Most of the setback in this area had been the medical bills, meals out, last-minute trips to the store to buy things for Aubree, and general just not keeping track of the budget well so the CC was pulled out. I am so glad our financial life was pretty well set to auto-pilot before this all happened so that the damage was containable. And over the past month we have really been cleaning up our general spending and getting our good habits back as our life goes back to "normal." Here are the racing numbers:
 

Start 1/1/2013: $24,500.00

Current 9/30/2013: $11,523.26

Total paid: $12,016.35

 
We are at 50% of our goal to have this completely paid off in 2013. I knew that was a far-reaching goal, but I am very pleased with the progress that we were able to make so far. I want to get under $10,000 by the end of the year and I think that we should be able to pay this off before June 2014 when the 0% rates expire. We are down to only 2 bills left out of 6 when we started.
 
We got our clearance to try again for another baby. I've run the numbers on my leave time from work and we will just barely have enough if we happen to get it this month. So weird to be right back in this place again. A new baby won't fix things, it won't replace Aubree, but we know our family is not complete yet. It's a really scary leap of faith to try again, knowing now just how badly it can end up.

No comments: