Our journey...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

FINALLY!

DH's work is finally picking up :)  He has been working his tail off for the last year and a half, and its finally starting to pay off - like really pay $$!  Its crazy.  We have gone so long living off my salary only that its really weird to have his checks coming in.  I am hoping that we can start really making some progress paying down our debt and getting savings boosted up.

DH met with a real estate agent, and we decided that we are going to put our house up for sale as soon as possible.  We are upside down on our house, but its not as bad as we had originally feared ($5-10k instead of $20-30k).  While I am home on maternity leave, I am focusing on getting things cleaned up around the house and doing some minor maintenance (paint, caulk, decluttering).  But the in-laws have offered to let us move into their basement apartment once we sell this house.  Its a great space with its own entrance, and we wouldn't have to pay rent :)  And since MIL watches DD for us three days a week while I work, its perfect!  Even though they said we won't have to pay rent, we will probably pay them something since we are living there (at least for our utilities).  And we will help fix up the apartment space so that it is updated and ready to go when they go to sell. 

We also got our daycare situation almost lined out.  MIL will watch DD three days per week.  My mom offered to watch her for free the other two days - but I just don't know that I trust her to (sad as that sounds).  So we found a college student from church that can watch her at our house two days per week.  It just happened to line up perfectly with her schedule, and she is so great with little kids!!  She also does childcare for the women's ministries on those days, and we said she can take DD with her.  So she gets to work two jobs at once :)  Pretty good deal for a college student!  I know next semester might be a bit different, but we can work something out.  This at least gets us through the rest of this year.  Its killing me that I have to go back to work, but I am hoping & praying that it will only be for a few years.  By the time munchkin #2 comes around, I would like to be able to quit and SAH - or at the very least, go PT.

2 comments:

Financial Dropout said...

Sounds like a good plan! I'm glad your DH's hard work is starting to pay off, literally.

Shelly said...

Sounds like great news all around! :)