- Towels, sheets, blankets on bottom
- DH's and my clothes on top of towels
- DD's clothes on top of ours
- Dish towels, cloths, cleaning rags, and bibs on top since I walk through the kitchen first
I also started making my own detergent. I thought it was too hard and was always turned off by the idea of having to grate a bar of soap into bits and then cooking the concoction on the stove. And with a toddler, there's no way I wanted a 5-gallon bucket of liquid just hanging around!! Last time I used the liquid no-cook recipe but it still was a mess. I needed to find something even easier to mix up and easy to store.
I found some recipes online, looked through reviews, and came up with one that is nearly fool-proof and SO EASY! It took me just a couple of minutes to mix up 32 loads worth. Here it is:
- 1 cup borax - box $3.38 @ WalMart
- 1 cup washing soda - box $3.24 @ WalMart
- 1 bar white Zote - $.97 @ WalMart
This makes about 4 cups worth of powdered detergent. I used 1/4 cup on the last jumbo load of laundry and it was too much. I think I will stick with 2T per load. But the clothes came out clean, smelling fresh, and most stains were gone. I tested it with DD's play clothes and DH's gym socks that he had just worn while mowing (grass stains, oil, and dirt all over the bottom from walking across the garage). There were some hints of stains left but I had to look close to find them. I was really impressed with the results!
Some reviews said they had trouble with the detergent dissolving in the washer. I added the powder first, and then added in about 1'' of hot water to the washer to dissolve, then switched to cold and added in the clothes. Seemed to do the trick :) If you have a front-loader you could always dissolve in a cup of warm water first if needed.
And for things that I know needed an extra boost, I mixed up some stain remover. Easiest thing ever :) It got out ketchup, deodorant stains from a white shirt, and random messes from DD's shirt.
- 1 8oz bottle peroxide (I got the one with a spray trigger - $1.23 @ WalMart)
- 2oz (2T) Dawn with Bleach Alternative

No comments:
Post a Comment